Tuesday, April 7, 2015

My Favorite Tip for Keeping Wood Furniture Looking Great



Most of my furniture is old. We're talking 1950s or earlier. This is because I inherited a lot of things from my grandparents and even great grandparents! A few newer things are mixed in, like our mango wood dining table and chairs. Mango wood? Actually, yes! It's a great hardwood with a pretty grain.

Whether furniture is new or old, it's important to take care of the wood to keep it both looking its best and in good condition. Here's how I keep my furniture shiny and healthy.

I use Howard Feed-N-Wax Wood Polish & Conditioner. It's made of beeswax and orange oil and smells great! And it's very simple to use:
  1. Wipe off dust and clean surface; allow to dry
  2. Apply product with soft cloth and let sit for 20 minutes
  3. Buff off excess with a soft cloth
Here are before and after pictures of my table. The table was pretty shiny before, but the wax really brings out more of the natural color in the wood grain.



And here are some before and after pictures of a family piece that is about 100 years old.



I will say that the buffing step is important. You might also want to go back a few days later and buff again. Otherwise, a filmy layer might build up and collect dust. 

No comments:

Post a Comment