Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Bargain Bench Makeover Part I

I picked up this bench a few months ago at one of my favorite thrift stores. Cost me $9.00. I’ve been using it in our laundry room to hold our beach bags and beach towels. Since we try to make it to the beach at least once a week, it’s handy to have all those items in one place for a quick getaway!
First I removed the hardware which I stored in a Ziploc bag for safekeeping. Hate having to look for a missing screw!  Then I sanded the bench lightly with a fine grain sandpaper, wiping it down with a rag as I went to remove the dust.  I needed a clean surface to be sure the paint would adhere properly. 

The spray paint I chose is called Sunrise/Matte, which is a paint and primer in one.  I wanted something to brighten up the laundry room’s sandy colored walls and white trim.  In order to avoid dripping, I kept flipping the bench so the surface I painted would be flat or horizontal to the ground.  Each side took 2  coats to cover smoothly.  I used a can and a half of spray paint for a cost of about $6.00.
If you’re wondering why I didn’t spray paint the top of the bench, it’s because I had something else in mind for that!  I wanted to make a cushioned bench seat, so I measured and cut a piece of foam rubber to fit on the top.  I had this foam from an old mattress we had. I save everything…you never know! My guess the cost to buy a piece like this would be about $10.
Come back next Wednesday to see how I finished this up!


I publish 3 new blog posts each week! Check out the schedule. You can also click on the link below for blog updates.

Best Bet Design Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment